Projects category: RESIDENTIAL + COMMERCIAL
One of the priorities of this addition/renovation project was to create a cohesive exterior while adding onto the existing structure at several points. By modifying roof lines, adding stacked-stone details, and creating a new front porch, the unity and curb-appeal of this 1950’s split-level was significantly improved. Other project goals included re-configuring the interior circulation, improved daylight, en-suite bedrooms, and two home offices with direct access to new outdoor patio spaces.
Located in the Forest Hills neighborhood overlooking Rock Creek Park, this DC Landmark was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011. Owned by the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formally Zaire) since the 1960’s, this multi-phase, multi-year renovation is in a Commission of Fine Arts jurisdiction, overseen and directed by the Historic Preservation Review Board.
The force behind this re-design was twofold: enlarge the existing masonry garage and create a dynamic outdoor living space above.
This addition/renovation was designed to transform a 1950’s Cape Cod, typical of the entire neighborhood, into a modern, sculptural house. The 3 volumes which comprise the distinctive, clean lines of the composition are each wrapped in materials honest to their nature: metal, wood and stucco.
Located in the Washington’s Historic District of Cleveland Park, the owners of this previously expanded and renovated 1897 Farmhouse wanted to convert the original cellar into a finished basement and connect it internally to the main level of the house. This lower level of the home would provide a new entry point for the family, a guest suite, and much needed additional living space.
This addition/renovation was initiated and fully designed for a Foreign Service family living overseas. Planning to return home after a decade abroad, the owners knew that their house, which served as a rental property in their absence, would require significant updates and expansion.
This addition/renovation transformed a 1950’s split-level house into a more traditional-style home geared toward both indoor and outdoor entertainment.
This extensive interior renovation project remained within the confines of the existing structure yet dramatically modified the previous plan, layout and function of the former house. Essentially, the owners wanted to open up the entire first floor and create a new kitchen as the focal point.
The addition/renovation of this 1920’s Cottage-style bungalow comprises a new second story and the creation of a new stair hall in an existing floor plan.
The plan and shape of this new home were driven by a combination of the owners’ requirements for daylight, views, and program with the circumstances of the site: a steeply sloping lot with an irregular pie-shape and strict local constraints on setbacks and lot coverage.